Makes 4 servings.
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon finely ground coffee
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon canola oil
1 pound turkey cutlets or boneless turkey breast, cut into 3/4-inch-by-3-inch pieces
4 taco-size (9-inch) whole-wheat tortillas
1 1/3 cups lightly packed baby spinach
1/2 cup salsa verde
2 (1/2-inch) slices red onion, halved crosswise
12 (1/2-inch) strips red bell pepper
- In small bowl, whisk together chili powder, cinnamon, cumin, garlic powder, coffee and black pepper.
- Place canola oil and turkey in mixing bowl and add dry seasoning marinade. Using a fork or your hands, mix to coat turkey evenly with marinade. Set aside for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Heat medium cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Lay a large sheet of foil on your work surface. One at a time, heat tortillas in dry pan until they are flexible, about 1 minute, turning them after 30 seconds.
- Stack tortillas on foil, covering them with an inverted plate until all tortillas are warmed, then seal tortillas in foil, and set them aside.
- Heat grill-pan or stovetop grill over high heat until a drop of water flicked onto it dances. Using tongs, arrange seasoned turkey pieces in rows on grill, placing them 1/2-inch apart. This may require cooking turkey in 2 batches.
- Grill for 6 minutes, turning pieces every 1 minute so they cook evenly and to avoid burning. Transfer cooked turkey to serving plate.
- To assemble fajitas, place warm tortilla on a dinner plate, preferably warm. Arrange 1/4 of spinach in center of tortilla. Add 1/4 of turkey. Spoon on 1/4 of salsa, top with half an onion slice and 4 pepper strips. Fold in top and bottom of tortilla, then sides. Serve immediately.
Cook turkey to 165 degrees to help prevent foodborne illness.
Serving size: 1 fajita. Amount per serving: 280 calories, 3.5g total fat (0g saturated fat), 29g carbohydrates, 45mg cholesterol, 33g protein, 2g dietary fiber, 430mg sodium.