Makes 11 servings.
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium carrots, diced
2 medium stalks celery, chopped
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups dry lentils
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) crushed tomatoes
2 cups vegetable broth
6 1/2 cups water
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add carrots, celery and onion; cook and stir until the onion is tender.
- Stir in garlic, oregano, basil and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in lentils and tomatoes; then add the vegetable broth and water.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for at least 1 hour or until lentils are tender.
- Serve. (Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator and reheated on the stove or in the microwave. The soup will taste even better the next day!)
Serving size: 1 cup. Amount per serving: 151 calories, 3g total fat (0g saturated fat), 0g cholesterol, 24g carbohydrates, 9g protein, 7g total fiber, 248mg sodium.
Source: National Institutes of Health