Certified Medical Assistant
Category:Family Practice Providers
This position will performs routine tests in a clinical setting of an outpatient laboratory and assists in examination and treatment of patients under direction of Physician or mid-level provider when necessary. This position will also provide registration and insurance information to the patient to include benefits, eligibility, and cost for services rendered in an outpatient setting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Interviews patient or representative to obtain accurate patient demographics.
· Registers patients for hospital outpatient service to include laboratory and radiology.
· Estimates costs of procedures, performs appropriate credit checks within Patient accounting system checking for prior balances, makes financial arrangements and collects money owed by patients.
· Knowledgeable about hospital procedures if patient is unable to pay, ability to assist patient in completing appropriate documents for financial assistance of hospital bills.
· Knowledgeable about patient accounts and has the ability to explain them to patients. Is responsible for collection of any account when approached by patient.
· Verifies insurance eligibility
· Answers phones and provides information on all incoming calls, such as insurance companies, physicians, patients and hospital staff.
· Escort’s patient and family members to appropriate location when necessary.
· Interprets physician's orders and secures a requisition before performing test. Consistently draws blood competently and expediently with as little patient discomfort as possible on neonates, children and adults.
· Obtains the correct amount and type of specimen.
· Draws blood from patients finger, heal, ear lobe, or vein, observing principles of aseptic technique to obtain blood sample on neonates, children and adults.
· Identifies the patient using two patient identifiers - comparing patient information on the requisition to the patient’s identification band before venipuncture is performed.
· Labels and records all test tubes, logs procedures, and files paperwork.
· Disposes all sharps in a rigid sharps container
· Performs Therapeutic Phlebotomy and discards specimen according to policy and procedure.
· Reviews patient requisitions (i.e. verifying all tests were ordered correctly, tests are not missed, and all pertinent information matches).
· Performs drug screens, including DOT.
· Instructs patient’s on how to collect midstream clean catch urines
· Keeps any necessary logs for documentation.
· Fills out and collects ABN’s and consents when necessary.
· Completes appropriate routing, handling, and processing of various medical specimens.
· Performs tests in an accurate and timely manner.
· Receives, orders lab tests, and labels test tubes accordingly. Ensures the correct information is used/obtained for the above tasks.
· Ensures phlebotomy tray is fully stocked and surrounding areas are clean and clutter free. This includes phlebotomy drawing room, outpatient waiting area, and processing area.
· Responsible for PKUs (filled out completely, logged in book, mailed to DSHS).
· Assists the clinical team as necessary
· Interviews patients, measures vital signs, such as pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight, and height, and records information on patients' charts.
· Prepares treatment rooms for examination of patients.
· Calls medical facility to schedule patients for tests.
· Gives injections or treatments
· Responsible for maintaining equipment logs
· Other duties as assigned
Medical Assistant certification is required. Phlebotomy certification and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience is preferred. One-year experiences in medical patient financial services preferred; one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Medina Healthcare System is a drug-free and tobacco-free employer with smoke free campuses. This job description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions may change as needs evolve.
Open until filled