Diabetes: 5 tips for healthy holiday eating
1. Balance carbs. If you want to enjoy a sweet treat, cut back on other carbohydrates—such as potatoes or bread.
2. Stay steady. As much as possible, stick to your usual meal times to keep your blood sugar level stable.
3. Think small. No food is off-limits. Take a small serving of a holiday favorite, and savor each bite.
4. Keep eating. Don't skip a meal so you can indulge later on—it will be harder to manage your blood sugar if you do.
5. Rest up. A good night's sleep will help you resist chowing down on high-fat, high-sugar foods.
Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "5 Healthy Eating Tips for the Holidays." https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/library/features/holidays-healthy-eating.html.